- International Law
- Law of the Sea
- Maritime delimitation
- Marine environment and resources
- Maritime transport and marine pollution issues
- Antarctic law and policy
- Adriatic Sea issues
- Full Professor competence.
- Doctor of Law, University of Zagreb Faculty of Law, 1995.
- Master of Law, University of Split - Specialistic master study on "The Law of the Sea", 1987.
- Diploma in Law (cand. juris), Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, 1983.
- Over 30 years of professional experience in International Law.
- Over 20 years of experience in leadership of international projects.
Key postions held at scholarly institutions
- Director, Law of the Sea and Marine Affairs Programme, FNI (2003-present).
- Senior Research Fellow at FNI (1995-2008).
- Co-director, "Law of the Sea" Course, Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik, Croatia (1997-2002).
- Director, Polar Programme, FNI (1995-2000 and 2002).
- Research Fellow, FNI (1992-1995).
- Member of the Department of International Law, Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, Croatia (1984-1992).
Other selected professional experience
- Chair of the ILA International Committee on 'International Law and Sea-Level Rise', (2012-present)
- Member of the ILA International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-present).
- Member of the Anthropocene Working Group of the International Commission on Stratigraphy (2009-present).
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Law of the Sea Institute at the University of California, Berkeley, USA (2004-present).
- Editor-in-Chief, Anthropocene - book series (Skolska knjiga)
- Editor-in-Chief, Brill Research Perspectives in the Law of the Sea (Brill)
- Member of the Editorial Board of: The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law, (Brill), The Anthropocene Review (SAGE), Climate Law (Brill).
- Co-chair of the IUCN/CEL Group of legal experts on the Mediterranean Sea (2006-2010).
- Member/adviser of Norwegian delegations to international conferences and organisations, including: the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings (1992-2002); the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (2001-2002); the FAO Committee on Fisheries (2003); the International Maritime Organization (2004-2006).
- External expert/consultant to international organisations, including: OECD (on IUU fishing), UNEP (on polar environmental policy).
- Visiting researcher at the T.M.C. Asser Institute for Private and Public International Law, The Hague, The Netherlands (1990-1991).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Progress in Physical Geography, Vol 43, No 3, 2019, pp. 319-333.
In J. Zalasiewicz, C. Waters, M. Williams and C. Summerhayes (eds), The Anthropocene as a Geological Time Unit: A Guide to the Scientific Evidence and Current Debate. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2019, pp. 31-40.
Current Anthropology, Vol 59, No 2, 2018, pp. 220-223.
In Alex G. Oude Elferink, Tore Henriksen and Signe Veierud Busch (eds), Maritime Boundary Delimitation: The Case Law. Is it Consistent and Predictable. Cambridge (UK), Cambridge University Press, 2018, pp. 33-61.
In Stefanie Hessler (ed), Tidalectics: Imagining an Oceanic Worldview through Art and Science. Cambridge (USA), MIT Press, 2018, pp. 125-134.
Hrvatski tjednik, 2 January 2020, pp. 8-9. In Croatian.
Technosphere Magazine, April 2017
ILSA Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol 21, No 2, 2015, pp. 397-408.
Munich, Deutsches Museum Verlag, 2015, pp. 56-59.
ESIL Reflections, Vol 4, No 6, August 2015, pp. 1-7.
- Sea-level rise and international law
- Changing oceans in the Anthropocene: Norway takes a leadership role
- Venice: FNI part of acclaimed ocean art exhibition by Armin Linke
- Experts gathered in Tromsø: What future for the polar regions?
- Sydney: International Law Association adopts two resolutions on sea-level rise
Što dalje, nakon današnjeg mišljenja da sud EU nije nadležan za arbitražu? ('What next, after today's opinion that the EU court has no jurisdiction to arbitrate?')
Telegram, 11.12.2019. In Croatian.
Isključivi gospodarski pojas: Hrvatska je od 2000. do danas izgubila više od 28 milijardi kuna zbog neproglašenja IGP-a ('Exclusive economic zone: Croatia lost more than HRK 28 billion from 2000 to date due to IGP failure')
Narod, 27.10.2019. In Croatian.
Neue Perspektiven auf das Anthropozän ('New perspectives on the Anthropocene')
Science.apa.at, 28.3.2019. In German.
Prospecting Ocean. Interview with Armin Linke
Jan Zalasiewicz: Antropocen vec sada ima dovoljno razlicitosti da ga se prizna kao novu eru ('Anthropocene is already sufficiently distinct to be recognized as a new epoch in Earth's history')
Vecernji list. 9.3.18. In Croatian.