- Energy security
- Global energy developments and governance
- Petroleum activity in the Arctic
- Professor (Adjunct) at TERI University, New Delhi.
- Fil.kand.degree from Universities of Stockholm and Lund.
- Graduate studies at London School of Economics.
- Russian language degree, Norwegian Defence Language School.
Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ambassador to Japan (2009-14).
- Ambassador to Austria and UN Organisations in Vienna (2002-03).
- Director General and Head of Department for Trade, Resources and Environment, and concurrently Ambassador to the International Energy Agency (2000-02).
- Ambassador to India (1994-99).
- Secretary General of the International Energy Forum, Riyadh (2003-2007).
- Chairman of the Governing Board of the International Energy Agency, Paris (2000-02).
- Special Adviser on International Affairs to Norwegian Prime Minister Brundtland (1987-89).
- Political Advisor to the Norwegian Minister of Petroleum and Energy (1980-81).
- Board Member and Director for External Affairs for Norsk Agip, Oslo, Norwegian affiliate of Italy's state oil company ENI (1982-85).
- Collaborating Partner at Burson Marsteller Co, Oslo
- Senior Adviser at The Global Resources Partnership, London
- Distinguished Fellow at The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), New Delhi
- Member of International Panel of Windsor Energy Group, London
- Member of Advisory Board of Bosphorus Energy Club, Istanbul
- Independent Consultant to companies and institutions through personal company Walther International Consulting, registered in Norway