- Sustainable development.
- Nature conservation and biodiversity issues at local, national and international levels.
- Strategic planning and EIA-work.
- Mainstreaming of biodiversity into economic sectors.
- CRS-work with private sectors.
- Development and implementation of multilateral environmental agreements.
- Planning and implementation of protected areas, threatened species, sustainable use issues and issues related to invasive alien species.
- National and international management of environmental polar issues.
Cand. real. zoology, University of Oslo 1971 (between Master of Science and PhD), with zoology, botany, mathematics, chemistry and biochemistry.
- Director, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (2004-February 2012).
- International Negotiation Director, Norwegian Directorate of Nature Management / Norwegian Ministry of the Environment (1995-2004).
- Deputy Director (1985-1989) and Director General (1989-1995), Norwegian Directorate of Nature Management.
- Various positions (including Head of Division), Norwegian Ministry of the Environment (1973-1985).
- Various research and teaching positions, University of Oslo (1966-1971).
Other selected professional experience
- Chair of Biodiversity in WEHAB (Water Energy Health Agriculture and Biodiversity), development for UN's Secretary General for WSSD (World Summit on Sustainable Development), (2002).
- Chair of SBSTTA (Subsidiary Body for Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice under CBD) (1996-1997) and member of Bureau for SBSTTA (1994-1999).
- Chair of UNEP-Panel (The scientific and technical bases for implementation of CBD) (1992-1993).
- Head of Norwegian delegations to various conventions, including CITES, the Bern Convention, CBD, Ramsar and 'Biosafety'- protocol negotiations (1979-2004).
- Initiator of and chairman for the Trondheim Conferences on Biodiversity, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2003.
- Series editor for CABI Publishing's Environmental Risk Assessment of Genetically Modified Organisms Series (from 2004) (see Vol 1 Vol 2 Vol 3 Vol 4).
- Chair of International Council, Birdlife International (from 2004).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In Oberthür, S. and G.K. Rosendal (eds), Global Governance of Genetic Resources: Access and Benefit Sharing after the Nagoya Protocol. London/New York, Routledge, 2014, pp. 18-32.
Ecosystem Services, Vol 9, 2014, pp. 75-82.
In Steinar Andresen, Elin Lerum Boasson and Geir Hønneland (eds), International Environmental Agreements: An Introduction. London/New York, Routledge, 2012, pp. 119-133.
In Davor Vidas and Peter Johan Schei (eds), The World Ocean in Globalisation. Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers/Brill, 2011, pp. 3-15.
FNI Report 4/2010. Lysaker, FNI, 2010, 24 p.
FNI Report 6/2009. Lysaker, FNI, 2009, 50 p. In Norwegian.
FNI Report 2/2008. Lysaker, FNI, 2008, 42 p.