My main research interest is international relations with special emphasis on institutional analysis, resource and environmental management, and regional cooperation in polar regions. Current substantive foci include relationships between climate change and international fisheries management, ocean governance issues in the Arctic, and the interplay of global and regional processes in the management of marine resources.
- Dr. Philos, Department of Political Science, University of Oslo (2010)
- Cand. polit. (MA, 1987) and Cand.mag. (BA, 1984), Department of Political Science, with side fields economics and history.
- Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Oslo (since 2013).
- Research Professor, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2009, adjunct position since 2013).
- Senior Research Fellow, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (1994-2009)
- Research Director, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (1997-2003).
- Fellow, Centre for Advanced Study, Norwegian Acad of Science and Letters (1999-2000).
- Polar Programme Director, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (1992-1997)
- Research Associate, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria (1995).
- Research Fellow, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (1987-92).
- Assistant Professor, College of Fisheries Science, University of Tromsø, Norway (1987).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
The Polar Journal, Vol 11, No 2, 2022, pp.249-268.
Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol 668, 2021, pp. 185-214.
In Frank Biermann and Kim Rakhyun (eds), Architectures of Earth System Governance. Cambridge University Press, 2020, pp. 207-232.
International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Vol 20, 2020, pp. 5-19.
In Richard Caddell and Erik J. Molenaar (eds), Strengthening International Fisheries Law in an Era of Changing Oceans. Hart Publishing, 2019, pp. 51-78.
In A. Orsini and Jean-Frederic Morin (eds), Essential Concepts of Global Environmental Governance. Routledge, 2020
In S.V. Rottem and I.F. Soltvedt (eds), Arctic Governance: Norway, Russia and Asia. Volume 3. I.B. Tauris, 2020.
China in World and Regional Politics, Vol 24, 2019, pp. 257-278.
In Svein Vigeland Rottem and Ida Folkestad Soltvedt (eds), Arctic Governance: Energy, Living Marine Resources and Shipping. Volume 2. London, I.B. Tauris, 2018, pp. 228-252.
In Svein Vigeland Rottem and Ida Folkestad Soltvedt (eds), Arctic Governance: Law and Politics. Volume 1. London, I.B. Tauris, 2017, pp. 91-106.
北极治理模式的国际探讨及北极治理实践的新发展 ('International Discussion on Arctic Governance Model and New Development of Arctic Governance Practices')
Pinlue.com, 27.3.2019. In Chinese.
Arctique. En marge de la conférence Arctic Frontiers, les ressources halieutiques dans le Grand Nord ('At the sidelines of the Arctic Frontiers: on the fisheries in the High North')
France Culture (radio). 28.2.2017. In French and partly English.