- Senior Research Fellow+47 90526312
The main goal of this project is to shed new light on the question of how Norway's enforcement of sovereignty in the Barents Sea is perceived in Russia.
The project revolves around three key themes/research questions:
- First, we will provide a general outline of Norway's enforcement activity, as well as of Russian interests, in the area.
- Second, we aim to map the main Russian positions and perceptions pertaining to the issue, with particular focus on the Coast Guard's enforcement practice in the Fishery protection zone around Svalbard.
- Third, we will discuss the implications of these perceptions to Norwegian-Russian security policy relations in general.
Project period: 2018-2019
- Norwegian Ministry of Defence
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In I. Bowers and S.L.C. Koh (eds), Grey and White Hulls: An International Analysis of the Navy-Coastguard Nexus. Palgrave Macmillan, 2019, pp. 135-157.
High North News, 25.4.2019.
The Arctic Institute, 12.2.2019.
RELATED RESEARCH AREA(S)
Yle: Norja pelkää konfliktia Venäjän kanssa ('Yle: Norway fears conflict with Russia')
Verkkouutiset.fi, 26.11.2019. In Finnish.
Sotilaallinen toiminta kasvanut Norjan ja Venäjän rajalla – “Tilanne on mennyt selvästi huonompaan suuntaan kuluneen vuoden aikana”('Military activity has increased on the Norwegian-Russian border - “Things have gotten much worse over the past year"')
Yle, 26.11.2019. In Finnish.
U.S. Arctic defense strategy ramps up rhetoric without committing resources, experts say
Una sfida (globale) chiamata Artico. Perché l’Italia dovrebbe occuparsene ('A (global) challenge called the Arctic. Because Italy should deal with it')
Formiche, 18.09.2018. In Italian.