- International Law
- Law of the Sea
- Maritime delimitation
- Marine environment and resources
- Maritime transport and marine pollution issues
- Antarctic law and policy
- Adriatic Sea issues
- Full Professor competence.
- Doctor of Law, University of Zagreb Faculty of Law, 1995.
- Master of Law, University of Split - Specialistic master study on "The Law of the Sea", 1987.
- Diploma in Law (cand. juris), Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, 1983.
- Over 30 years of professional experience in International Law.
- Over 20 years of experience in leadership of international projects.
Key postions held at scholarly institutions
- Director, Law of the Sea and Marine Affairs Programme, FNI (2003-present).
- Senior Research Fellow at FNI (1995-2008).
- Co-director, "Law of the Sea" Course, Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik, Croatia (1997-2002).
- Director, Polar Programme, FNI (1995-2000 and 2002).
- Research Fellow, FNI (1992-1995).
- Member of the Department of International Law, Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, Croatia (1984-1992).
Other selected professional experience
- Chair of the ILA International Committee on 'International Law and Sea-Level Rise', (2012-present)
- Member of the ILA International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-present).
- Member of the Anthropocene Working Group of the International Commission on Stratigraphy (2009-present).
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Law of the Sea Institute at the University of California, Berkeley, USA (2004-present).
- Editor-in-Chief, Anthropocene - book series (Skolska knjiga)
- Editor-in-Chief, Brill Research Perspectives in the Law of the Sea (Brill)
- Member of the Editorial Board of: The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law, (Brill), The Anthropocene Review (SAGE), Climate Law (Brill).
- Co-chair of the IUCN/CEL Group of legal experts on the Mediterranean Sea (2006-2010).
- Member/adviser of Norwegian delegations to international conferences and organisations, including: the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings (1992-2002); the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (2001-2002); the FAO Committee on Fisheries (2003); the International Maritime Organization (2004-2006).
- External expert/consultant to international organisations, including: OECD (on IUU fishing), UNEP (on polar environmental policy).
- Visiting researcher at the T.M.C. Asser Institute for Private and Public International Law, The Hague, The Netherlands (1990-1991).
Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers/Brill, 2011, 580 p.
Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010, 642 p.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Anthropocene, Vol 19, September 2017, pp 56-60.
The Korean Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol 5, No 1, 2017, pp. 5-35.
Newsletters on Stratigraphy, Vol 50, No 2, 2017, pp. 205-226
The Anthropocene Review, Published online 28.11.2016, DOI: 0.1177/2053019616677743, 14 p.
In H.N. Scheiber, C. Esposito, J. Kraska and M.-S. Kwon (eds), Ocean Law and Policy: 20 Years under UNCLOS. Leiden/Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2016, pp. 101-123.
Technosphere Magazine, April 2017
ILSA Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol 21, No 2, 2015, pp. 397-408.
Munich, Deutsches Museum Verlag, 2015, pp. 56-59.
ESIL Reflections, Vol 4, No 6, August 2015, pp. 1-7.
In N. Möllers, C. Schwägerl and H. Trischler (eds), Willkommen im Anthropozän. Munich, Deutsches Museum Verlag, 2015, pp. 56-60. In German.
When the Sea Begins to Dominate the Land
Technosphere Magazine. May 2017.
Rx for the Anthropocene?
Anthropocene: The journey to a new geological epoch
Carbon Brief, 05.10.2016.
What is the Anthropocene - and why is it relevant for international law?
University of Leicester News, 27.06.2016.
Imagining the Anthropocene
Utopia or Dystopia, 14.06.2016