- International Law
- Law of the Sea
- Maritime delimitation
- Marine environment and resources
- Maritime transport and marine pollution issues
- Antarctic law and policy
- Adriatic Sea issues
- Full Professor competence.
- Doctor of Law, University of Zagreb Faculty of Law, 1995.
- Master of Law, University of Split - Specialistic master study on "The Law of the Sea", 1987.
- Diploma in Law (cand. juris), Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, 1983.
- Over 30 years of professional experience in International Law.
- Over 20 years of experience in leadership of international projects.
Key postions held at scholarly institutions
- Director, Law of the Sea and Marine Affairs Programme, FNI (2003-present).
- Senior Research Fellow at FNI (1995-2008).
- Co-director, "Law of the Sea" Course, Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik, Croatia (1997-2002).
- Director, Polar Programme, FNI (1995-2000 and 2002).
- Research Fellow, FNI (1992-1995).
- Member of the Department of International Law, Faculty of Law – University of Zagreb, Croatia (1984-1992).
Other selected professional experience
- Chair of the ILA International Committee on 'International Law and Sea-Level Rise', (2012-present)
- Member of the ILA International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-present).
- Member of the Anthropocene Working Group of the International Commission on Stratigraphy (2009-present).
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Law of the Sea Institute at the University of California, Berkeley, USA (2004-present).
- Editor-in-Chief, Anthropocene - book series (Skolska knjiga)
- Editor-in-Chief, Brill Research Perspectives in the Law of the Sea (Brill)
- Member of the Editorial Board of: The International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law, (Brill), The Anthropocene Review (SAGE), Climate Law (Brill).
- Co-chair of the IUCN/CEL Group of legal experts on the Mediterranean Sea (2006-2010).
- Member/adviser of Norwegian delegations to international conferences and organisations, including: the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings (1992-2002); the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (2001-2002); the FAO Committee on Fisheries (2003); the International Maritime Organization (2004-2006).
- External expert/consultant to international organisations, including: OECD (on IUU fishing), UNEP (on polar environmental policy).
- Visiting researcher at the T.M.C. Asser Institute for Private and Public International Law, The Hague, The Netherlands (1990-1991).
Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers/Brill, 2011, 580 p.
Leiden/Boston, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010, 642 p.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
The Anthropocene Review, Published online 28.11.2016, 14 p. DOI: 10.1177/2053019616677743
In H.N. Scheiber, C. Esposito, J. Kraska and M.-S. Kwon (eds), Ocean Law and Policy: 20 Years under UNCLOS. Leiden/Boston, Brill Nijhoff, 2016, pp. 101-123.
Earth's Future, Vol 4, No 8, 2016, pp. 324-345.
Earth's Future, Vol 4, No 3, 2016, pp. 34-53.
Science, Vol 351, No 6269, 2016, pp. 138-147.
ILSA Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol 21, No 2, 2015, pp. 397-408.
Munich, Deutsches Museum Verlag, 2015, pp. 56-59.
ESIL Reflections, Vol 4, No 6, August 2015, pp. 1-7.
In N. Möllers, C. Schwägerl and H. Trischler (eds), Willkommen im Anthropozän. Munich, Deutsches Museum Verlag, 2015, pp. 56-60. In German.
Government Gazette, 24.04.2015.
Rx for the Anthropocene?
Anthropocene: The journey to a new geological epoch
Carbon Brief, 05.10.2016.
What is the Anthropocene - and why is it relevant for international law?
University of Leicester News, 27.06.2016.
Imagining the Anthropocene
Utopia or Dystopia, 14.06.2016
Die Menschenzeit ('The era of the humans')
FixPoetry, 21.04.2016. In German