General issues of public international law, with a particular focus on law of the sea and international institutional law. Geographic focus on the Polar Regions, especially Norway’s maritime areas. Current substantive research foci include the role of courts and tribunals in the law of the sea, the establishment of maritime limits and boundaries, the role of expert regimes in international law and the Svalbard Treaty.
- Full professor competence (2020)
- PhD, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (2013)
- Cand. jur, University of Oslo (2005)
- Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (since 2020)
- Associate Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (2019-2020)
- Associate Member of the International Law Association's International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-2018).
- Guest Researcher, Faculty of Law, Department of Public and International Law, University of Oslo (2011).
- Research Assistant, Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow and Research Professor, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2004).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 262-267.
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 1-13.
Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol 11, 2020, pp. 82-107
Internasjonal Politikk, No 4, Vol 78, 2020, pp. 511-522. In Norwegian.
In Irene Dahl and Øystein Jensen (eds), Svalbardtraktaten 100 år - et jubileumsskrift. Fagbokforlaget, 2020, pp. 9-17. In Norwegian.
Dagens Næringsliv, 28.2.2019. In Norwegian.
Oxford Bibliogaphies in International Law, published 11.01.2018.
Dictum, Vol 1, No 1, 2015, pp. 20-21. In Norwegian.
FNI Report 2/2007. Lysaker, FNI, 2007, 32 p.
FNI Report 3/2006. Lysaker, FNI, 2006, 47 p.
- Academic promotion for three FNI researchers
- Tre ferske forskere med full professorkompetanse
- Webinar recording: The High North and foreign policy
- Svalbard and the Surrounding Ocean Spaces – New Foreign Policy Challenges for Norway?
- Gjesteredaktør for Internasjonal politikks nordområdenummer
Russiske militærøvelser som skader norsk fiskeri kan bryte med havretten, sier forsker (Russian military exercises that damage Norwegian fishing can violate the law of the sea, says researcher)
High North News, 7 October 2021. In Norwegian.
Mark kastes ut av Svalbard etter 13 år (Mark thrown out of Svalbard after 13 years)
NRK, 25 July 2021. In Norwegian.
EU stung after Norway gained case to guard its fishing waters from Brussels
Newspaper24, 12 March 2021
Russia is winning support for its claims on Arctic shelf, says chief negotiator
The Barents Observer, 28.11.2019.
Abide by the claw: Ruling tightens Norway's rights on Arctic snow crab and boosts its claim to oil
Japan Times, 15.2.2019.