General issues of public international law, with a particular focus on law of the sea and international institutional law. Geographic focus on the Polar Regions, especially Norway’s maritime areas. Current substantive research foci include the role of courts and tribunals in the law of the sea, the establishment of maritime limits and boundaries, the role of expert regimes in international law and the Svalbard Treaty.
- Full professor competence (2020)
- PhD, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (2013)
- Cand. jur, University of Oslo (2005)
- Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (since 2020)
- Associate Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (2019-2020)
- Associate Member of the International Law Association's International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-2018).
- Guest Researcher, Faculty of Law, Department of Public and International Law, University of Oslo (2011).
- Research Assistant, Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow and Research Professor, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2004).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In Østhagen (ed), Norway's Arctic Policy: Geopolitics, Security and Identity in the High North. Edward Elgar, 2023, pp. 77-94
Chapter 1 In Nele Matz-Lück, Øystein Jensen and Elise Johansen (eds), The Law of the Sea: Normative Context and Interactions with other Legal Regimes. Routledge, 2022, 13 p.
The Polar Journal, published online 07.04.2022. DOI: 10.1080/2154896X.2022.2062557
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 262-267.
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 1-13.
Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol 14, 2023, pp. 83-85.
Forskning.no, January 31, 2023. In Norwegian.
Dagens Næringsliv, Januar 24, 2023. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, January 24, 2023. In Norwegian.
Store norske leksikon, January 26, 2022. In Norwegian.
Norwegen muss Krabben vor Spitzbergen nicht teilen – und Öl damit auch nicht (Norway doesn't have to share crabs off Svalbard - and neither does oil)
Der Standard, March 23, 2023. In German.
挪威雪蟹捕撈嚴格設限 歐盟成員國乾瞪眼 (Norwegian snow crab fishing is strictly limited, EU member states dry eyes)
Taiwan TV News Network/ Yahoo! News Taiwan, March 21, 2023. In Chinese.
Victory for the Norwegian State in the Case of Snow Crab Fishing off Svalbard
High North News, March 20, 2023.
Pesca: la Norvegia vieta alle navi dell’UE di catturare il granchio delle nevi (Fishing: Norway bans EU vessels from catching snow crab)
Dissapore.com, March 20, 2023. In Italian.
Højesteret: Norge har eneret på at fiske snekrabber ved Svalbard (The Supreme Court: Norway has the exclusive right to fish for snow crabs at Svalbard)
Fyens.dk, March 20, 2023. In Danish.