General issues of public international law, with a particular focus on law of the sea and international institutional law. Geographic focus on the Polar Regions, especially Norway’s maritime areas. Current substantive research foci include the role of courts and tribunals in the law of the sea, the establishment of maritime limits and boundaries, the role of expert regimes in international law and the Svalbard Treaty.
- Full professor competence (2020)
- PhD, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (2013)
- Cand. jur, University of Oslo (2005)
- Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (since 2020)
- Associate Professor of Law, University of South-Eastern Norway (2019-2020)
- Associate Member of the International Law Association's International Committee on 'Baselines under the International Law of the Sea', Norwegian branch representative (2012-2018).
- Guest Researcher, Faculty of Law, Department of Public and International Law, University of Oslo (2011).
- Research Assistant, Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow and Research Professor, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2004).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Chapter 1 In Nele Matz-Lück, Øystein Jensen and Elise Johansen (eds), The Law of the Sea: Normative Context and Interactions with other Legal Regimes. Routledge, 2022, 13 p.
The Polar Journal, published online 07.04.2022. DOI: 10.1080/2154896X.2022.2062557
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 262-267.
In Øystein Jensen (ed), The Development of the Law of the Sea Convention: The Role of International Courts and Tribunals. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020, pp. 1-13.
Arctic Review on Law and Politics, Vol 11, 2020, pp. 82-107
Store norske leksikon, January 26, 2022. In Norwegian.
Forskning.no, March 12, 2022. In Norwegian.
Oxford Bibliographies Online, 23.11.2021.
Dagens Næringsliv, 28.2.2019. In Norwegian.
Oxford Bibliogaphies in International Law, published 11.01.2018.
Mye står på spill når Høyesterett skal behandle Svalbardtraktaten (Much at stake when the Supreme Court deals with the Svalbard Treaty)
NRK, October 20, 2022. In Norwegian.
Svalbardtraktaten til Høyesterett (Svalbard Treaty to the Supreme Court)
NRK Nyhetsmorgen (TV/radio), October 20, 2022. In Norwegian.
Russiske militærøvelser som skader norsk fiskeri kan bryte med havretten, sier forsker (Russian military exercises that damage Norwegian fishing can violate the law of the sea, says researcher)
High North News, 7 October 2021. In Norwegian.
Mark kastes ut av Svalbard etter 13 år (Mark thrown out of Svalbard after 13 years)
NRK, 25 July 2021. In Norwegian.
EU stung after Norway gained case to guard its fishing waters from Brussels
Newspaper24, 12 March 2021