- Research Professor+47 47477405
1) addresses decentralized management regimes for Norwegian national parks and protected landscapes in order to identify preconditions for ensuring an appropriate balance between local and international interests. Our focus is on protected areas that are of particular relevance to mountainous areas and landscape protection. Comparative studies of Norway-Canada and Norway-Sweden are being carried out as part of the project.
2) focuses on new measures introduced by the Norwegian Nature Diversity Act, in particular chapter II on general principles for sustainable use, §§ 23-25 on priority species, § 40 on international status for protected areas, chapter VI on selected habitat types and § 62 on delegation of authority under the Act, as well as the increased focus on management plans and plans for management measures.
3) looks at challenges regarding domestic implementation of international obligations related to establishment of networks of protected areas, and thus contribute to development of international policy to preserve biodiversity.
Project period: 2011-2019
FNI PROJECT LEADER
- Deputy Director / Research Director Climate and Energy+47 97540217
- Research Council of Norway, Environment2015 Programme
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Yearbook of International Environmental Law, published online 24.05.2021, 35 p. DOI: 10.1093/yiel/yvaa078
Diversifying Nature Protection: Evaluating the Changing Tools for Forest Protection in Canada and Norway
Review of Policy Research, Vol 32, No 6, 2015, pp. 699-722
Learning through Disclosure: The Evolving Importance of Transparency in the Practice of Nonstate Certification
In Aarti Gupta and Michael Mason (eds), Transparency in Global Environmental Governance: Critical Perspectives. Cambridge (USA), MIT Press, 2014, pp. 271-296.
Internationalization of Protected Areas in Norway and Sweden: Examining Pathways of Influence in Similar Countries
International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services and Management, Vol 10, No 3, 2014, pp. 240-252.
Jus eller politikk? Reform av norsk verneområdeforvaltning ('Law or Policy? Reform of Norwegian Protected Area Management')
In L. Gipperth and C. Zetterberg (eds), Miljörättliga perspektiv och tankevändor. Vänbok till Jan Darpö & Gabriel Michanek. Uppsala, Iustus förlag, 2013, pp. 237-252.
Dynamic Governance Interactions: Evolutionary Effects of State Responses to Non-State Certification Programs
Regulation & Governance, published online 20.12.2012. In print: Vol 8, No 1, 2014, pp. 74-92
Local Environment, Vol 17, No 2, 2012, pp. 203-222
BIORES, Vol 9, No 4, 2015, pp. 4-7.
Power to Protect? Participation in Decentralized Conservation Management. The Case of Kangchenjunga Conservation Area, Nepal
FNI Report 16/2014. Lysaker, FNI, 2014, 98 p.