My main research interests are within the fields of global environmental governance, international political economy, and public administration. Much of my work examines the emergence, evolution and effects of private governance and public-private governance interactions across economic sectors. Current research areas include climate and energy policy; windpower and other renewables; emissions trading; certification and eco-labelling in forestry, fisheries and aquaculture; and international forest politics.
- Full professor competence (2013)
- Ph.D., University of Oslo (2009, political science)
- Cand.polit., University of Oslo (2001, political science)
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (1998, organisational and social psychology)
- Research Director, Climate and Energy (since 2019).
- Deputy Director at FNI (since 2015).
- Research Professor at FNI (since 2013), previously Senior Research Fellow (since 2005) and Research Fellow (since 2001) at FNI.
- Director of the Global Environmental Governance program at FNI (2010-2016).
- Research Fellow, Sustainability Science Program, Harvard Kennedy School, USA (2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Environmental Politics.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council for Voluntary Sustainability Standards, United Nations (UNCTAD-UNFSS).
- Member of the Board of the PLATON consortium (Platform for Open and Nationally Accessible Climate Policy Knowledge).
- Staff representative in the Board of FNI (2006-2015)
- Lecturer at the bachelor-level course International Environmental and Resource Management Politics at the Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Internasjonal Politikk, Vol 80, No 1, pp. 170-183. In Norwegian
In Paul G. Harris (ed), Routledge Handbook of Marine Governance and Global Environmental Change. Rotledge, 2022, chapter 10.
Politics and Governance, Vol 10, No 1, 2022, pp. 230-234
Politics and Governance, Vol 10, No 1, 2022, pp. 246-255
Marine Policy, Vol 138, April 2022, 7 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2022.104987
Include Resultater og Anbefalinger 07/2022, 4 p. In Norwegian.
FNI Report 5/2022. Lysaker, FNI, 2022, 41 p. In Norwegian
Aftenposten Innsikt, August 2022. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, June 2, 2022. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten Innsikt, June 2022. In Norwegian.
Hvordan påvirker EU norsk klima- og miljøpolitikk (How does the EU influence Norwegian climate policy?)
NRK P2 (radio), October 24, 2022. In Norwegian.
EU reknar gass og kjernekraft som berekraftige investeringar (The EU considers gas and nuclear power as sustainable investments)
NRK, July 6, 2022. In Norwegian.
Mange kraftliner under planlegging: – Legg meg med ein klump i magen kvar natt (Upcoming protests against new power lines)
NRK, June 26, 2022. In Norwegian.
Utbygging av nye kraftkabler i Norge (New power lines under planning)
NRK Nyhetsmorgen (radio), June 23, 2022. In Norwegian.
Norske klimagassutslipp kun ned med 0,3% i 2021 (Norwegian emissions only down by 0.3% in 2021)
Studio 2, NRK P2 (radio), June 8, 2022. In Norwegian.