My main research interests are within the fields of global environmental governance, international political economy, and public administration. Much of my work examines the emergence, evolution and effects of private governance and public-private governance interactions across economic sectors. Current research areas include climate and energy policy; windpower and other renewables; emissions trading; certification and eco-labelling in forestry, fisheries and aquaculture; and international forest politics.
- Full professor competence (2013)
- Ph.D., University of Oslo (2009, political science)
- Cand.polit., University of Oslo (2001, political science)
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (1998, organisational and social psychology)
- Research Director, Climate and Energy (since 2019).
- Deputy Director at FNI (since 2015).
- Research Professor at FNI (since 2013), previously Senior Research Fellow (since 2005) and Research Fellow (since 2001) at FNI.
- Director of the Global Environmental Governance program at FNI (2010-2016).
- Research Fellow, Sustainability Science Program, Harvard Kennedy School, USA (2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Environmental Politics.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council for Voluntary Sustainability Standards, United Nations (UNCTAD-UNFSS).
- Member of the Board of the PLATON consortium (Platform for Open and Nationally Accessible Climate Policy Knowledge).
- Staff representative in the Board of FNI (2006-2015)
- Lecturer at the bachelor-level course International Environmental and Resource Management Politics at the Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 74, 2021, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.1016/j.erss.2021.101963
International Studies Perspectives, published online 30.09.2020, 17 p. DOI: 10.1093/isp/ekaa013
Global Environmental Politics, published online 31.08.2020, 23 pp. DOI: 10.1162/glep_a_00565
In Judith van Erp, Michael Faure, André Nollkaemper and Niels Philipsen (eds), Smart Mixes for Transboundary Environmental Harm. Cambridge University Press, 2019, pp. 210-234.
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 52, 2019, pp. 181-191.
Aftenposten, 30 June 2021
Aftenposten, 25 June 2021. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 15 June 2021. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 8 June 2021. In Norwegian.
Science Norway, 2 April 2021.
Vindkraftkonflikten er folkets oppgjør med lovbrudd (The wind power conflict is the people's way of dealing with offenses)
Aftenposten, 23 June 2021. In Norwegian.
Concerns over credibility of certification schemes
Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 3 May 2021.
Kvotemarked: EU og verden: Utviklingen i prisen på utslipp av CO2 (Quota market: EU and the world: Developments in the price of CO2 emissions)
Klima og energi, 29 March 2021. In Norwegian
Vindkampen (Wind Wars)
Fjell & Vidde 1/21, 26.01.21. In Norwegian.
Nå skal kommunene styre vindkraften – for hvem og hvor? (The municipalities will control the windpower - for whom and where?)
Kommunal Rapport, 18.12.20. In Norwegian.