My main research interests include international, national and regional environmental law and policy, with a particular focus on biological diversity, ecosystem based management and environmental impact assessment. My research also covers international trade law (WTO), international investment law, general issues of public international law, European Community law, and human rights.
- Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (2007)
- Dr. juris, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo, on the dissertation “Environmental taxes and trade discrimination” (1997)
- Cand.jur., Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (1991)
- Part-time research professor at the Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2010)
- Professor/associate professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (since 2002)
- Coordinator, PluriCourts - Centre for the Study of the Legitimate Roles of the Judiciary in the Global Order (2013-2023)
- Guest professor at United Nations University for Peace, Costa Rica (2018-19)
- Guest researcher at Peking University (2006-07)
- Advisor to the Norwegian Ministry for the Environment (1997-2001)
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Yearbook of International Environmental Law, published online 24.05.2021, 35 p. DOI: 10.1093/yiel/yvaa078
In Hans Christian Bugge (ed), Klimarett. Internasjonal, europeisk og norsk klimarett mot 2030. Oslo, Universitetsforlaget, 2021.
Tidsskrift for rettsvitenskap, Vol 154, Nos 2-3, 2020, pp. 264-305. In Norwegian.
In O.K. Fauchald and E. Smith (eds), Mellom jus og politikk. Grunnlovens § 112. Oslo, Fagbokforlaget, 2019, pp. 227-252. In Norwegian.
Review of European Community & International Environmental Law, Vol 25, No 3, 2016, pp. 363-377.
Kommunal rapport, 18 May 2021. In Norwegian.
Nordlandsforskning, NF rapport 1/2021. In Norwegian.
FNI Report 3/2020. Lysaker, FNI, 2020, 66 p. In Norwegian
Report submitted to Motvind Sørvest 15.10.2020, 18 p. In Norwegian.
Report submitted to Aksjonsgruppa mot vindkraftutbygging på Faurefjell 18.07.2020, 18 p. In Norwegian.
- Vant anbud på faglig bistand til Klimautvalget 2050
- I strid med Stortingets intensjon: Miljøreform vasker oppdrettsnæringen grønn
- FNI hits the jackpot in research funding bid
- Sustainable salmon farming? A closer look at Norway's aquaculture industry
- Expanding aquaculture at the expense of wild salmon?
Regnskogavtale med Indonesia har klausuler om hemmelighold (Rainforest agreement with Indonesia has non-disclosure clauses)
Transit magasin, September 21, 2022. In Norwegian. English version - Development today (subscribers only).
Jussprofessor mener flatehogst er en stor trussel mot artsmangfoldet (Law professor believes clear-cut logging is a major threat to species diversity)
Bondebladet, September 20, 2022. In Norwegian.
Skogbruket – den største trusselen mot artsmangfold i Norge? (Forestry - the biggest threat to species diversity in Norway?)
Apollon, September 12, 2022. In Norwegian.
– Staten brøt loven. Har plikt til å stanse fiskedød i kraftverket (The authorities have a duty to stop fish deaths in the power plant)
NRK, June 26, 2022. In Norwegian.
MDG: Krever innsyn i regjeringens oljetillatelser (Requires insight into the government's oil permits)
VG, May 7, 2022. In Norwegian.