The formation, implementation, and interaction of international regimes on environment and trade, issues relating to biodiversity, renewable energy, nature management, biotechnology and genetic resources. Main research interests include access & benefit sharing and property rights to genetic resources in agriculture and aquaculture as well as bioprospecting in marine areas. Additional research interests are the interaction between global nature management and health initiatives, and interaction between biodiversity and renewable energy. Major analytical approaches include science-policy interaction and global environmental governance.
- Full professor competence (2007).
- Dr. Polit., University of Oslo (1999).
- Cand polit.: University of Oslo, (political science, sociology, public law) (1989).
- Diploma of Advanced European Studies, Administration, College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium (Scholarship from Belgium) (1985-86).
- Research Director, FNI (2014-2020)
- Dr. Polit. and Senior research fellow at FNI (since 1999).
- Programme director of FNI's Global Programme (1997-2003).
- Scholarship, Researcher, and then Research Fellow at FNI (1989-99).
- Research fellow at the Centre for environment and development (SUM), University of Oslo (1996-97).
- Research mission at the Norwegian Ministry of Environment (1992-93).
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, Vol 54, No 2, 2023, pp. 364-396.
In Ingrid Visseren-Hamakers and Marcel Kok (eds), Transforming biodiversity governance. Cambridge University Press, 2022, pp. 200-218.
Environmental Politics, published online 17.05.2022, 22 p. DOI: 10.1080/09644016.2022.2075153
Asian Perspective, Vol 46, No 2, 2022, pp. 279-310
Overcoming barriers to breeding for increased lice resistance in farmed Atlantic salmon: A case study from Norway
Aquaculture, Vol 548, 2022, 11 p.
Crafting an effective treaty on plastic pollution: Emerging fault lines in the intergovernmental negotiations
GRID-Arendal, 2022, 37 p. (In English, French and Spanish)
The long-term effects of COVID-19: Poverty alleviation in global cooperation on health and nature issues
FNI Policy Brief 8/2022. Lysaker, Fridtjof Nansen Institute, October 2022, 6 p.
FNI Report 4/2022. Lysaker, FNI, 2022, 19 p.
Dagens Næringsliv, June 30, 2022. In Norwegian.
Kina tar ledertrøyen innen biologisk mangfold (China takes centre stage in global biodiversity push)
Dagens næringsliv, 19 October 2021. In Norwegian.
RELATED RESEARCH AREA(S)
Regional Conference on Suitable Seeds for Food Security Focuses on Better Access to Seeds
New Business Age, November 15, 2022.
SAWTEE organize regional conference on suitable seeds for food security
Fiscal Nepal, November 6, 2022.
Experts stress protection of indigenous crops
The Rising Nepal, November 3, 2022.
Experts stress need for a policy regime to reward communities
Karobar National Economic Daily. 2.8.2017.