- Senior Research Fellow+47 47330349
Most recently, the focus on Arctic development has shifted towards the blue economy. In a nutshell, this entails utilising ocean-based resources to the benefit of local communities. Yet, in a preliminary Arktis 2030 project, which examined related development efforts in Alaska and North Norway, a basic problem was identified; namely the limited coordination of knowledge when it comes to challenges and opportunities that arise as the blue potential is explored.
Obvious lessons of relevance concerning resource utilisation and local adaptation are not shared between the various Arctic regions.
Hence, AlaskaNor's key objective is to improve knowledge concerning the blue economy in Alaska and North Norway and in turn enhancing related knowledge among relevant stakeholders and amongst decisions-makers. This will be done by:
- Developing knowledge in four work packages dealing with various aspects of the blue economy (Phase I)
- Synthesising these findings in collaboration with stakeholders in Alaska and North Norway (Phase II)
- Targeting decision-makers in Washington, D.C. and Oslo with policy recommendations (Phase III)
Much more information about the project can be found at the AlaskaNor Website.
Project period: 2018-2021
- Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Arktis 2030 Programme
- Nordland County, Innovation and Business Development Grant
Nordlys, 14.5.2019. In Norwegian.
High North News, 25.4.2019.
Anchorage Daily News, 3.4.2019.
Altaposten, 29.3.2019. In Norwegian.
Fremover, 25.3.2019. In Norwegian.
Lofotposten, 23.3.2019. In Norwegian.
High North News, 20.3.2019.
The Arctic Institute, 12.2.2019.
RELATED RESEARCH AREA(S)
Mistenkeliggjøring, konspirasjonsteorier og strategier på kollisjonskurs skaper trøbbel ('Suspicion, conspiracy theories, and colliding strategies are causing trouble in the Arctic')
High North News, 17.08.2019. In Norwegian.
Et 30 år gammelt kompromiss slår sprekker og skaper friksjoner mellom USA og Canada ('A 30 year old compromise is challenged, creating friction between USA and Canada')
High North News, 12.4.2019. In Norwegian.