- The implementation of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
- The realization of Farmers' Rights as addressed in the International Treaty.
- Plant variety release and seed marketing regulations in the EU and Norway.
- The effects of multilateral environmental and economic agreements on the management of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture in developing countries.
- The role of civil society actors in the implementation of multilateral agreements pertaining to plant genetic resources for food and agriculture in developing countries.
- The implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity, with focus on access to genetic resources and the equitable sharing of benefits from their use.
- Politics and legislation related to organic food and agriculture.
- Planning and evaluation methods in development co-operation (facilitation of seminars and workshops).
- Community seed banks as platforms for agrobiodiversity management, food security, poverty alleviation and development.
- Dr. Polit., University of Oslo, Department of Political Science, 2007.
- Diplom Politologin (equivalent to Cand. polit.), Free University of Berlin, 1991 (political science) .
- Research Director, Environment and biodiversity, FNI (May 2020– )
- Senior Research Fellow and previously Researcher at the Fridtjof Nansen Institute since 1995 (with a break 2013–2017), engaged in research, project development and management, presentations and other dissemination activities, organization of meetings and seminars, moderation/facilitation of meetings and international consultations processes, and consultancies (mainly evaluations).
- Executive Director, Oikos – Organic Norway (January 2013 – May 2017)
- Member of the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Farmers’ Rights under the Governing Body of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (2018– ).
- Member of the Ad Hoc Technical Committee on Sustainable Use of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture under the Governing Body of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (2016– ).
- Member of the Norwegian Genetic Resources Committee for Plants (2011-2013).
- Member of the Committee on Sustainability of Genetically Modified Organisms, organized by the Norwegian Biotechnology Advisory Board and the Directorate for Nature Management (2010–2011).
- Member of the Norwegian delegation to all sessions of the Governing Body of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (2004–).
- Member of Advisory Committee to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Results in the Development Policy, and of its working committee (2001–03).
- Chair of the Board of the Rainforest Foundation Norway (2006–2012), Vice Chair (2001–2006) and member (2000–2002 and 2012–2016).
- Staff representative in the Board of the Fridtjof Nansen Institute (1999–03).
- Senior Research Fellow, Fridtjof Nansen Institute (December 1994 – December 2012)
- Course co-ordinator, NORAD Training Centre, Oslo (1993–94).
- Executive Officer, Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft, Unit for Environment and Resource Management, Berlin (1992–93).
- Research assistant, Free University of Berlin, Department of the Politics of China, East and Southeast Asia (1987–90).
- Field study experiences: Ethiopia, Malawi, Uganda, Tanzania, Nepal, India, the Philippines, Peru.
Abingdon (UK), Routledge, 2017, 232 p.
Aldershot, Ashgate, 2008, 420 p.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In Karl Zimmerer and Stef de Haan (eds), Agrobiodiversity. Integrating Knowledge for a Sustainable Future. MIT Press, 2019, pp. 283-305.
In Charles R. McManis and Burton Ong (eds), Routledge Handbook of Biodiversity and the Law. Abingdon, Routledte, 2018, pp. 135-153
Chapter 28 in Danny Hunter, Luigi Guarino, Charles Spillane and Peter McKeown (eds), Routledge Handbook of Agricultural Biodiversity. Routledge, 2017, pp. 449-470.
In Michael Halewood (ed), Farmers' Crop Varieties and Farmers' Rights: Challenges in Taxonomy and Law. London/New York, Routledge, 2016 pp. 129-152.
In Michael Halewood (ed), Farmers' Crop Varieties and Farmers' Rights: Challenges in Taxonomy and Law. London/New York, Routledge, 2016 pp. 99-128.
FNI Policy Brief 1/2020. Lysaker, Fridtjof Nansen Institute, May 2020, 4 p.
Bondebladet, 28.11.2019. In Norwegian.
FNI Report 7/2019. Lysaker, FNI, 2019, 64 p.
FNI Report 6/2019. Lysaker, FNI, 2019, 49 p.
FNI Report 5/2019. Lysaker, FNI, 2019, 49 p.
RELATED RESEARCH AREA(S)
Special edition- Teffgate: A Dutchman’s conning of the Ethiopian State
Addis Standard, 27.11.2019.
Den afrikanske glutenfrie drømmen ('The African gluten free dream')
NRK Uriks, 1.5.2019. In Norwegian.
Tuleeko uusin superruoka Afrikasta? Etiopialainen perinnevilja on vehnää välttävän unelma – ja se patentoitiin jo Euroopassa ('Will the latest superfood come from Africa? Ethiopian traditional grain is great for avoiding wheat - and was already patented in Europe')
Yle.fi, 10.3.2019. In Finnish.
Ny statusrapport om verdens biomangfold ('New status report on global biodiversity')
Regjeringen.no, 26.2.2019. In Norwegian.
Bancos comunitarios de semillas llevan a agricultores a compartir beneficios ('Community seed banks help farmers share benefits')
Finanzas.com, 20.2.2019. In Spanish.