My main research interests include international, national and regional environmental law and policy, with a particular focus on biological diversity, ecosystem based management and environmental impact assessment. My research also covers international trade law (WTO), international investment law, general issues of public international law, European Community law, and human rights.
- Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (2007)
- Dr. juris, Faculty of Law, University of Oslo, on the dissertation “Environmental taxes and trade discrimination” (1997)
- Cand.jur., Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (1991)
- Part-time research professor at the Fridtjof Nansen Institute (since 2010)
- Professor/associate professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo (since 2002)
- Coordinator, PluriCourts - Centre for the Study of the Legitimate Roles of the Judiciary in the Global Order (2013-2023)
- Guest professor at United Nations University for Peace, Costa Rica (2018-19)
- Guest researcher at Peking University (2006-07)
- Advisor to the Norwegian Ministry for the Environment (1997-2001)
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
In Eivind Smith (ed), Våre perifere domstoler. Fagbokforlaget, 2023, pp. 37-63. In Norwegian.
Yearbook of International Environmental Law, published online 24.05.2021, 35 p. DOI: 10.1093/yiel/yvaa078
In Hans Christian Bugge (ed), Klimarett. Internasjonal, europeisk og norsk klimarett mot 2030. Oslo, Universitetsforlaget, 2021.
Tidsskrift for rettsvitenskap, Vol 154, Nos 2-3, 2020, pp. 264-305. In Norwegian.
In O.K. Fauchald and E. Smith (eds), Mellom jus og politikk. Grunnlovens § 112. Oslo, Fagbokforlaget, 2019, pp. 227-252. In Norwegian.
Altinget.no, May 24, 2023. In Norwegian.
Altinget.no, May 10, 2023. In Norwegian.
FNI-rapport 1/2023. Lysaker, FNI, 2023, 30 s. (In Norwegian)
Norsk Skogbruk, 10/2022. In Norwegian.
Forskersonen, October 11, 2022. In Norwegian.
- New project to examine EU Climate Policy Implications for Land Use in Norway
- New project to examine Solar Power Expansion
- Vant anbud på faglig bistand til Klimautvalget 2050
- I strid med Stortingets intensjon: Miljøreform vasker oppdrettsnæringen grønn
- FNI hits the jackpot in research funding bid
Veiene som forsvinner i tåka (Roads disappearing in fog)
NRK, April 30, 2023. In Norwegian.
Lokalpolitiker og Hafjell-investor meldte seg inhabil 31 ganger på to år (Local politician and Hafjell investor declared himself to incapacitated 31 times in two years)
NRK, February 15, 2023. In Norwegian
Norge eksporterer farlig oljeavfall til Danmark: – Ulovlig, mener jusprofessor (Norway exports dangerous oil waste to Denmark: 'Illegal', says law professor)
NRK, January 12, 2023. In Norwegian.
For gammelskogsartene har flatehogst og nedbygging samme negative effekt (For old-growth forest, clear-cutting is as bad as degradation)
Forskersonen.no, October 18, 2022. In Norwegian.
Norsk skogbruk er et av verdens mest bærekraftige (Norwegian forestry among the world's most sustainable)
Forskersonen.no, September 24, 2022. In Norwegian