My main research interests are within the fields of global environmental governance, international political economy, and public administration. Much of my work examines the emergence, evolution and effects of private governance and public-private governance interactions across economic sectors. Current research areas include climate and energy policy; windpower and other renewables; emissions trading; certification and eco-labelling in forestry, fisheries and aquaculture; and international forest politics.
- Full professor competence (2013)
- Ph.D., University of Oslo (2009, political science)
- Cand.polit., University of Oslo (2001, political science)
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (1998, organisational and social psychology)
- Research Director, Climate and Energy (since 2019).
- Deputy Director at FNI (since 2015).
- Research Professor at FNI (since 2013), previously Senior Research Fellow (since 2005) and Research Fellow (since 2001) at FNI.
- Director of the Global Environmental Governance program at FNI (2010-2016).
- Research Fellow, Sustainability Science Program, Harvard Kennedy School, USA (2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Environmental Politics.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council for Voluntary Sustainability Standards, United Nations (UNCTAD-UNFSS).
- Member of the Board of the PLATON consortium (Platform for Open and Nationally Accessible Climate Policy Knowledge).
- Staff representative in the Board of FNI (2006-2015)
- Lecturer at the bachelor-level course International Environmental and Resource Management Politics at the Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 104, No 103231, 2023. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2023.103231
Environmental Policy and Governance, published online 29.05.2023, 12 p. DOI: 10.1002/eet.2068
Internasjonal Politikk, Vol 80, No 1, pp. 170-183. In Norwegian
In Paul G. Harris (ed), Routledge Handbook of Marine Governance and Global Environmental Change. Rotledge, 2022, chapter 10.
Politics and Governance, Vol 10, No 1, 2022, pp. 230-234
Aftenposten, August 11, 2023. In Norwegian.
Dagens Næringsliv, June 22, 2023. In Norwegian.
Kommunal rapport, June 2, 2023. In Norwegian.
FNI-rapport 2/2023. Lysaker, FNI, 2023, 69 s. (In Norwegian)
Aftenposten, May 22, 2023. In Norwegian.
Kutt i klimautslipp på Melkøya kan gi økt utslipp andre steder (Melkøya Emission Cuts Could Lead to Increased Emissions Elsewhere)
Aftenposten/E24, August 30, 2023. In Norwegian.
– Elektrifisering av Melkøya er nedbetalt på to år ('Electrification of Melkøya Pays Off in Two Years')
Teknisk Ukeblad, August 16, 2023. In Norwegian.
Sterke reaksjoner på Melkøya-nyheten: – En voldtekt av en hel landsdel (Strong Reactions to Melkøya News: "A Violation of an Entire Region")
NRK Nordland, August 8, 2023. In Norwegian.
Regjeringen foreslår elektrifisering av Melkøya (Government Proposes Electrification of Melkøya)
NRK Nordland (TV), August 8, 2023. In Norwegian.
Elektrifisering av Melkøya (Electrification of Melkøya)
NRK Nordland (radio), August 8, 2023. In Norwegian.