My main research interests are within the fields of global environmental governance, international political economy, and public administration. Much of my work examines the emergence, evolution and effects of private governance and public-private governance interactions across economic sectors. Current research areas include climate and energy policy; windpower and other renewables; emissions trading; certification and eco-labelling in forestry, fisheries and aquaculture; and international forest politics.
- Full professor competence (2013)
- Ph.D., University of Oslo (2009, political science)
- Cand.polit., University of Oslo (2001, political science)
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (1998, organisational and social psychology)
- Research Director, Climate and Energy (since 2019).
- Deputy Director at FNI (since 2015).
- Research Professor at FNI (since 2013), previously Senior Research Fellow (since 2005) and Research Fellow (since 2001) at FNI.
- Director of the Global Environmental Governance program at FNI (2010-2016).
- Research Fellow, Sustainability Science Program, Harvard Kennedy School, USA (2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Environmental Politics.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council for Voluntary Sustainability Standards, United Nations (UNCTAD-UNFSS).
- Member of the Board of the PLATON consortium (Platform for Open and Nationally Accessible Climate Policy Knowledge).
- Staff representative in the Board of FNI (2006-2015)
- Lecturer at the bachelor-level course International Environmental and Resource Management Politics at the Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Politics and Governance, Vol 10, No 1, 2022, pp. 230-234
Politics and Governance, Vol 10, No 1, 2022, pp. 246-255
Marine Policy, Vol 138, April 2022, 7 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2022.104987
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 74, 2021, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.1016/j.erss.2021.101963
International Studies Perspectives, published online 30.09.2020, 17 p. DOI: 10.1093/isp/ekaa013
Aftenposten innsikt, 2 March 2022. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten Innsikt, 5 January 2022. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 13 December 2021. In Norwegian.
Cicero.no, 10 December 2021. In Norwegian
CICERO Report 07/2021, 36 p. In Norwegian.
Das Geschäft nach dem Öl: Norwegen setzt auf Windkraft – und Deutschland profitiert (Business post-oil: Norway relies on wind power – and Germany benefits)
Tagesspiegel.de, April 25, 2022. In German.
Regjeringen vil ta alle klimakutt hjemme. «Dyrt», svarer SSB (The government will take all climate cuts at home. "Expensive", Statistics Norway answers)
E24, April 6, 2022. In Norwegian.
Høyre vil ha mer vindkraft på land (The Conservative party wants more land-based wind power)
Aftenposten, March 17, 2022. In Norwegian.
Åtte spørsmål og svar om elektrifisering av sokkelen (Q&A on electrification of the continental shelf)
Faktisk.no, 17 January 2022. In Norwegian.
Ofrer vi naturen for å redde klimaet? (Are we sacrifising nature to save the climate?)
Debatt i P2, NRK radio, 5 November 2021. In Norwegian.