My main research interests are within the fields of global environmental governance, international political economy, and public administration. Much of my work examines the emergence, evolution and effects of private governance and public-private governance interactions across economic sectors. Current research areas include climate and energy policy; windpower and other renewables; emissions trading; certification and eco-labelling in forestry, fisheries and aquaculture; and international forest politics.
- Full professor competence (2013)
- Ph.D., University of Oslo (2009, political science)
- Cand.polit., University of Oslo (2001, political science)
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (1998, organisational and social psychology)
- Research Director, Climate and Energy (since 2019).
- Deputy Director at FNI (since 2015).
- Research Professor at FNI (since 2013), previously Senior Research Fellow (since 2005) and Research Fellow (since 2001) at FNI.
- Director of the Global Environmental Governance program at FNI (2010-2016).
- Research Fellow, Sustainability Science Program, Harvard Kennedy School, USA (2007).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Global Environmental Politics.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council for Voluntary Sustainability Standards, United Nations (UNCTAD-UNFSS).
- Member of the Board of the PLATON consortium (Platform for Open and Nationally Accessible Climate Policy Knowledge).
- Staff representative in the Board of FNI (2006-2015)
- Lecturer at the bachelor-level course International Environmental and Resource Management Politics at the Department of Political Science, University of Oslo.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 74, 2021, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.1016/j.erss.2021.101963
International Studies Perspectives, published online 30.09.2020, 17 p. DOI: 10.1093/isp/ekaa013
Global Environmental Politics, published online 31.08.2020, 23 pp. DOI: 10.1162/glep_a_00565
In Judith van Erp, Michael Faure, André Nollkaemper and Niels Philipsen (eds), Smart Mixes for Transboundary Environmental Harm. Cambridge University Press, 2019, pp. 210-234.
Energy Research & Social Science, Vol 52, 2019, pp. 181-191.
Aftenposten, 5 October 2021. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 16 September 2021. In Norwegian.
Nysgjerrigper, 7 September 2021. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 3 September 2021. In Norwegian.
Aftenposten, 30 June 2021
Mener maktkritisk forskning blir nedprioritert (Says power-critical research is not a priority)
NRK1 og NRK P2, Dagsnytt atten, 13 September 2021. In Norwegian.
Vi trenger maktkritiske forskningsprosjekter (We need power-critical research)
Aftenposten, 9 September 2021. In Norwegian.
Reagerer på nedproritering av oljekritisk forskning:— Ikke lenger fri forskning (Responds to downgrading of oil-critical research: - No longer free research)
Khrono, 8 September 2021
Oljekritisk forskning «faller mellom alle stoler» (No room for research critical towards the oil sector)
Khrono, 8 September 2021
Øya som ble delt i to (The island that was cut in two)
NRK TV, Brølet fra bygda. 5 September 2021. In Norwegian.